TOP New Features in Android 10
On September 3, 2019, Google finally released a stable version for its new operating system — Android 10. It has been already deployed on Google Pixel phones. There were a lot of hype and rumors about this event because Google promised to add new and unique cutting-edge technologies, such as machine learning or Foldables and 5G supporting. So now we can evaluate these new options and the whole Android 10 operating system. What are the most exciting features you need to pay attention to? Read on in our new blog post.
Design improvement: new dark mode
The dark mode is becoming the default option for lots of apps. In fact, in recent years, thousands of applications enabled their users to switch the background colors to black. Also, it changes the color of fonts and other icons or signs. Do you know that the dark mode can help you to save the battery charging? How? The mobile device seizes less brightness and color saturation, and, as a result, your display does not work at full power. Surprisingly, this mode appeared only in the Android 10 version. Here is the quick guide on how to set it up:
- Firstly, go to the Settings menu on your mobile device;
- After that, scroll down and find the Display option. Tap on it;
- Then, toggle on the Dark theme option. Wait for a few minutes and enjoy the new appearance of your screen. A bit unusual, right?
Also, you do not need to make all these steps every time you want to change the mode. To perform it much faster, you just need to add this option to the Quick Settings feature:
- Open the Quick Settings menu by pulling down the top of your screen with a finger;
- Find the Pencil icon in the bottom left corner and press on it. You will see several icons you can add to the menu;
- You are almost there! The final step is to drag and drop the Dark menu icon to the Quick Settings table.
That’s all! Let’s move on and see other incredible features in Android 10.
Feature improvement: Wi-Fi and QR codes
Next advancement is related to the Wi-Fi and QR codes options. Guess you agree that is always an awkward situation when you need to share the Wi-Fi password with your friends. Especially, if it is long and complicated. Starting from Android 10, you don’t have to do this anymore. Google added the opportunity to create a unique QR code for your Wi-Fi network. Also, you can scan the friend’s QR code to join the new network. It is very easy to do:
- Open the Settings menu and find the Wi-Fi option;
- Choose your homework network;
- Then you will see a Share button with a QR code — tap on it.
Technical improvement: smart reply
It is time to show Machine Learning in work. If you are a Gmail user, you may have probably noticed that it provides you with a reply prompts to the messages. For example, if somebody makes an appointment, you can see the blocks with Quick response that says “Yes, I will be there” or “Now, I can’t”. And now Google integrated this feature into a new Android 10 operating system for all messaging apps such as Signal, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, and so on.
Smart Reply is trying to anticipate what you’re going to say in the message response. It gives you several variants to choose from. Moreover, Google made a big step in smart Reply development and went even further. For now, this feature can predict not only your responses but also your actions. Let’s show an example. Imagine that you ask your friend about the location you need to go to, and they send you an address. Smart Reply will analyze the text of the message and make a suggestion that you want to open Google Maps to find out more information about the destination. That’s how it works! Really incredible!
Security improvement: a new way to keep and share the privacy data
Android OS has nearly 2.5 billion users in diverse countries of the world. Therefore, the issue of security and privacy is one of the most important questions. New Android 10 is packed with new, safer privacy and security features. First of all, it concerns the way apps process the location data and the making security fixes available.
To tell the truth, it’s nothing new for iOS users. Starting with Android 10, people can choose whether they want to share the location with the app while using or always instead of only the last option. In fact, there is a welcome change, because the access to external applications to your data is one of the most critical issues. Also, Google added a new Privacy section that you can find in the Settings tab. With it, it is much easier for users to browse the permissions they give to third-party services. The Privacy section has different tabs:
- Permission Manager: show the list of permissions and apps that have access to them;
- Lock Screen: edit the information that is shown on the lock screen;
- Accessibility usage: the number of apps that have access to your device;
- Show passwords: display or not display the characters while you are typing;
- Autofill service from Google: manage the information about your passwords, cards, and addresses;
- Google location history: save the locations where you have been with a device;
- Activity controls: manage the activities you allow and do not allow to Google save;
- Ads: the section about advertising and personalization;
- Usage & diagnostics: what data you want to send to help Google improve Android.
Simpler, safer, and smarter Android 10
The new operating system by Google has a lot of new improvements. Here we revealed and discussed the most important that, as we think, you should be familiar with. And what feature excites you the most? Share with us in the comments below.